Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Sunshine Mash

Days to departure: 416
Dishes made: 2

Forgive the lapse of time, but I have been busy! And slightly lazy, I can't lie.

I didn't even plan on cooking tonight. I've hardly slept at all this week, and I planned on sleeping all day and all night. My mind, however, had other plans and decided to start thinking. So I decided I needed to cook a little. Cooking always helps a restless mind, yes? So here is tonight's creation.

This is a dish called "Sunshine Mash" containing a total of three key ingredients, and two key spices: carrots, parsnips, butter, salt and pepper. Not too difficult right?

 Actual carrots, something I have neither purchased, cooked with or eaten....

And parsnips....something I didn't even know existed....If you're a Harry Potter fan, you'll notice they look a little like Mandrakes....

I'm not going to lie...Parsnips have to be the most interesting vegetable (root?) I've ever smelled. It almost smells like a household cleaner, but also like ginger. I guess you'd have to smell it to understand what I mean.

After boiling (you're supposed to do it separately, but I boiled them together to save time), the carrots and parsnips get mashed together. Then add butter, salt and pepper.

The final product. I can't lie, this is a very bland, yet tasteful dish. I probably won't make it again, as the semi-spicy (yet sweet) flavor of the parsnips and the rootish flavor of the carrots are not something I really enjoy. 

This is traditionally a summer/midsummer dish. I can see why this would be something to cook on a warm summer day, as it is somewhat refreshing. 

Tomorrows experiment: Rice custard.

No comments:

Post a Comment